Apostolic Pentecostal Doctrine Series
WHAT IS THE NAME OF GOD?
1. Exodus 3:13-15 13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
Moses asks God what His name is, and God answers that His name is “I am.” This is His name forever and His memorial to all generations. This means that the name of God is “I Am” from Genesis to Revelation and whatever name is identified with God means “I Am.”
2. John 8:54-58 54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: 55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. 57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
Jesus says that He is the “I am” of before Abraham’s time consistent with what God told Moses.
3. John 17:11-12 (New American Standard Version) 11 "I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are. 12 "While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them, and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled.
John 17:11-12 (New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures) 11 “Also, I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world and I am coming to you, Holy Father, watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are. 12 When I was with them I used to watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me; and I have kept them and not one of them is destroyed except the son of destruction, except that the scripture might be fulfilled.”
Philippians 2:9-12 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
The above scriptures say that Jesus has the same name as the Father.
4. Isaiah 9:6 6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
This is a prophecy about a Son (Whom we know His name is Jesus) Who is born, and His name will be identified with “Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, and the Prince of Peace.”
5. Matthew 28:18-19 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Jesus has resurrected in a glorified body and He says He has all the power in heaven and earth. He then tells His disciples to baptize all nations in the name “of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.” The three prepositional phrases “of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” are adjectives that define the word “name.” The word “name” is singular in number meaning that Father, Son, and Holy Ghost all have the same name – Jesus, consistent with Isaiah 9: 6.
6. John 14:16-18, 26 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
This scripture says that the Holy Ghost is the Comforter, and Jesus says that He is the Comforter.
7. Colossians 2:7-10 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
This scripture says that Jesus, now in His glorified body, is totally God. The above scriptures state that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost all have the same name. Therefore, the name of God is Jesus.